There are quite a lot of food blogs coming out nowadays. I myself read them to know about new places I could try out during the weekends, confirm how I feel about a certain restaurant or sometimes just to let time pass in an entertaining way. Food blogs usually speak of how awesome restaurants are, how certain dishes of this place are far better than their competition’s or how they would raise their “two thumbs” for this and that new discovery.

What I don’t like about such food blogs though is that they usually only talk about how gastronomically delightful restaurants’ dishes are. Are those blogs realistic? I doubt it. Are there really that many "good-blog-review" worthy restaurants here? It’s practically common knowledge that many (if not most) bloggers are getting paid in cash or in coupons to deliver good reviews for eateries. That’s terrible! Why are these bloggers even blogging!

Bloggers like these should instead try landing jobs in ad agencies where they can gain materially from their writing. Blogging shouldn’t be a business; it’s a medium through which people can respect and share opinions, not a way to get free meals for your friends and family.

I offer my blog as an alternative. Obviously, it’s not for money-making. No one would actually pay not to be on my blog, and besides, they wouldn't know who I am. I’ve chosen to keep this blog anonymous mainly because I think the harassment I’ll attract for writing negative stuff about certain restaurants won’t be worth it. So why write a blog like this at all?

One, I LOVE to eat! Over the years, I think I’ve developed a palate capable of distinguishing good food from bad. Two, I love to try new places. I like the fact that restaurant concepts from abroad are making their way here be it through international franchises or similar-themed eateries opening at the Fort, Greenbelt or wherever. Three, I hate it when restaurants serve subpar food at par prices, which is better known to me as a “highway robbery”. It really sucks to see profit-driven fake restaurateurs who are easily blinded by the fame and fortune of the business and forget the true key factors to opening a good restaurant: food, environment, service and cost.

Everyone in the food business should know that a good bang for their customer’s buck means more return customers, which in turn means more profit. Entrepreneurs who do not believe in this are, ironically, now my primary source of strength for writing this blog. Because of them, I’m now excited not only to be awed by a restaurant but also to be disappointed by it.

So I present to you Not Worth Eat: A guide on which restaurants NOT to try. Happy reading, and prepare to be de-appetized! Don't tell me I didn't warn you…

Monday, October 22, 2012

Ramen Bad





Ramen shops are everywhere; it's the trend these days, just like those froyo, macaroon, and smokeless-grilling places. With a number of Ramen shops around, there will obviously be good ones and not so good ones. Ramen Bar is one of the latter.


 



The restaurant is well lit and very spacious. It can fit both small and large groups and the tables are very well spaced. Unfortunately for this place, a restaurant is judged mainly for its food rather than its surroundings. 

Cheese Gyoza, Php180
Rating:
 

I didn't quite enjoy this version of gyoza because it was deep fried, which I found too greasy. I wish they would just pan fry it the way gyoza should really be cooked. It also had such a small amount of meat inside that it was easily overpowered by the cheese.



Kakuni Buns, Php180
Rating:
 


Seriously? This is a menu item? Chowking's Chow Pao can be a good alternative to this for only maybe a quarter the price. And I even found the Kakuni to be cold and a bit too tough, which made it hard to chew. It was just small, tough slices of Kakuni, lettuce, japanese mayonnaise and hoisin sauce all tucked under a small bun. Biggest disappointment of the night.





Ramen Bar Special #1, Php380
Rating:

In my opinion, this "special" bowl of ramen is just an average one. While the soup base was very rich, it was a bit too salty for me. I also like my soup so hot that I can feel the burn in my stomach, and this one came so cold that i had to have it reheated. It was disappointing, too, that the Kakuni (pork) slices were too fatty and not boiled enough. Only the meat close to the fat was tender, and the ones farther from the fat, very tough, just like the ones in the Kakuni buns. On a side note, the Onsen Tamago was seasoned and cooked nicely.


Buta Kakuni Ramen, Php380
Rating: 


The Buta Kakuni Ramen tasted more like a Chinese noodle soup to me. The soup was so plain that the ultra-generous amount of spring onion overpowered the taste of the soup and gave it a Chinese feel. Overall, everything else like the meat, the noodles, and the egg were just too plain.



My Ratings:



Food:                                                - A bit of adjustments would do the trick

Service:                                                               - The staff were alert and approachable
Ambiance:                                                            - It's actually pretty nice.
Price Level:                                      - A bit over priced for the quality of the food.
Overall:                                                    -I will come back but i will need a ton of convincing.



Substitutes:


Ukkokei Ramen Ron:            -Get ready for a great ramen experience!
 
Moshi Koshi Noodle Boss:                   -Better ramen at a cheaper price!

Nomana Artisanal Ramen:                 - Good ramen and interesting menu items!



This place used to serve terrific ramen. I Wonder what happened.



Don't tell me I didn't warn you!



Follow us on Twitter @notwortheat



5 comments:

  1. aww..:( i love ramen bar's kakuni buns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Rick! Really? haha :) We have different preferences when it comes to ramen. What do you usually order there?

      Delete
  3. Been a regular at Ramen Bar since it opened a few years ago at Eastwood and never had the kakuni buns cold and tough? are you sure we're talking about the same restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to disagree with this review, Moshi Koshi? Better Ramen? Really?

    ReplyDelete

Food & Drink - Top Blogs Philippines