There are quite a lot of food blogs coming out nowadays. I myself read them to know about new places I could try out during the weekends, confirm how I feel about a certain restaurant or sometimes just to let time pass in an entertaining way. Food blogs usually speak of how awesome restaurants are, how certain dishes of this place are far better than their competition’s or how they would raise their “two thumbs” for this and that new discovery.

What I don’t like about such food blogs though is that they usually only talk about how gastronomically delightful restaurants’ dishes are. Are those blogs realistic? I doubt it. Are there really that many "good-blog-review" worthy restaurants here? It’s practically common knowledge that many (if not most) bloggers are getting paid in cash or in coupons to deliver good reviews for eateries. That’s terrible! Why are these bloggers even blogging!

Bloggers like these should instead try landing jobs in ad agencies where they can gain materially from their writing. Blogging shouldn’t be a business; it’s a medium through which people can respect and share opinions, not a way to get free meals for your friends and family.

I offer my blog as an alternative. Obviously, it’s not for money-making. No one would actually pay not to be on my blog, and besides, they wouldn't know who I am. I’ve chosen to keep this blog anonymous mainly because I think the harassment I’ll attract for writing negative stuff about certain restaurants won’t be worth it. So why write a blog like this at all?

One, I LOVE to eat! Over the years, I think I’ve developed a palate capable of distinguishing good food from bad. Two, I love to try new places. I like the fact that restaurant concepts from abroad are making their way here be it through international franchises or similar-themed eateries opening at the Fort, Greenbelt or wherever. Three, I hate it when restaurants serve subpar food at par prices, which is better known to me as a “highway robbery”. It really sucks to see profit-driven fake restaurateurs who are easily blinded by the fame and fortune of the business and forget the true key factors to opening a good restaurant: food, environment, service and cost.

Everyone in the food business should know that a good bang for their customer’s buck means more return customers, which in turn means more profit. Entrepreneurs who do not believe in this are, ironically, now my primary source of strength for writing this blog. Because of them, I’m now excited not only to be awed by a restaurant but also to be disappointed by it.

So I present to you Not Worth Eat: A guide on which restaurants NOT to try. Happy reading, and prepare to be de-appetized! Don't tell me I didn't warn you…

Monday, October 29, 2012

Johnny Rockets



We decided to have our Sunday afternoon snack at Johnny Rockets at the New Eastwood Mall. The mall has a rather interesting weekend market, which is kind of what brought us there. I had heard mixed reviews about this place, and I thought that it was about time I gave it a try. And as usual, I came with the mindset “no expectations, no disappointments”. 






The place looked very polished, just like the American diners we would see in the movies. The Jukebox, shiny red booth seats, WWII-era memorabilia -- they really give diners a feeling of dining in the States. 

Oreo Milkshake, Php 275
Rating:

To start off, we took the server's recommendation and ordered the Oreo Milkshake. It was awful! The server took so much pride in saying that it was just pure ice cream used in the drink and no ice. Yeah, sure -- cheap Big Scoop ice cream. To price it at 275 pesos is just plain ridiculous! 

Smoke House Single, Php 440
Rating:
We got the Smoke House Single, one of their Premium Hamburgers, which had bacon, cheese, onion rings, their "special" BBQ-ranch sauce and a quarter-pound beef patty. Disappointingly, it tasted a lot like McDonald's Quarter Pounder, if not worse, and nothing like a 440-peso burger. The bread they used was so soft it flattened when I held it, and the bacon easily overpowered the taste of the under-seasoned patty. No traces of their special sauce there...

Chili, P50
Rating:
We had chili fries to go with the burger. Since my date wanted the fries plain, we had the chili and the fries separated, and to our surprise, to go with our plain fries, we were served a bowl of oil with a bit of chili, which was far too salty.

My Ratings:


Food:                                            - Way below expectation with sky high prices

Service:                                                                     - Friendly but inattentive staff
Ambiance:                                                                           - Diners will really get a good feeling of dining in the States.

Price Level:                                   - Very very very overpriced

Overall:                                 -STAY AWAY!



Better Alternatives:



Friday's:                              
                        -Jack Daniel's Burger FTW!

Charlie's Grind and Grill:      
                                - San Miguel Burger is cooked perfectly! Comfort food at its finest.
Chili's:                                                                       -Burgers, Steaks and the High and Mighty Pie! Don't forget to get
                                                                                                  their white gravy, goes well with everything.



I feel robbed.


Don’t tell me I didn’t warn you!
Follow us on Twitter @notwortheat


19 comments:

  1. i agree. that place should close down. the food is as terrible as the prices. it is not even as good as their dance numbers, which can be terrible just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to know that I am not alone on this one Arpee. I really felt robbed, almost Php 1000 for a snack for 2 is absurd! And yes, they would be better off taking out those dance numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel the same way about johnny rockets. sobrang hindi sulit. i'm just waiting for it to close up shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sakto, the price is for dinner na. And besides, that same amount can get me a better burger at Friday's just across the street. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. you dont call that a burger. try the burger at Smash kitchen and bar. tell your folks to come and visit my restaurant in Toronto. www.smashkitchen.com or check our facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wont even pay for that chilli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Over priced unpleasant food. What a waste of money :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I REALLY like your blog, dude! Looking forward to more places NOT to go to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an honor. Watch out for more entries to come!

      Delete
    2. Follow me on twitter @notwortheat and help spread the word! :)

      Delete
  8. Two thumbs up! This is the type of food blog that I've been waiting and wanting to read. More, please...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alter Ego! I'm very glad you are enjoying this blog. Yes, check back in next week for some more!

      Delete
  9. i agree. soo expensive. there was even unlimited fries, would've loved it if the fries were good but it ist

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I order the same in Brothers Burger, I would only pay half the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on! Although I still prefer Charlie's SMB Burger. What makes it worse here is you can get already get steak in other places with those prices!

      Delete
  11. Same sentiments here. I wonder if the Owner of JR is lurking around... XD

    ReplyDelete
  12. I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

    ReplyDelete

Food & Drink - Top Blogs Philippines