There are quite a lot of food blogs coming out nowadays. I myself read them to know about new places I could try out during the weekends, confirm how I feel about a certain restaurant or sometimes just to let time pass in an entertaining way. Food blogs usually speak of how awesome restaurants are, how certain dishes of this place are far better than their competition’s or how they would raise their “two thumbs” for this and that new discovery.

What I don’t like about such food blogs though is that they usually only talk about how gastronomically delightful restaurants’ dishes are. Are those blogs realistic? I doubt it. Are there really that many "good-blog-review" worthy restaurants here? It’s practically common knowledge that many (if not most) bloggers are getting paid in cash or in coupons to deliver good reviews for eateries. That’s terrible! Why are these bloggers even blogging!

Bloggers like these should instead try landing jobs in ad agencies where they can gain materially from their writing. Blogging shouldn’t be a business; it’s a medium through which people can respect and share opinions, not a way to get free meals for your friends and family.

I offer my blog as an alternative. Obviously, it’s not for money-making. No one would actually pay not to be on my blog, and besides, they wouldn't know who I am. I’ve chosen to keep this blog anonymous mainly because I think the harassment I’ll attract for writing negative stuff about certain restaurants won’t be worth it. So why write a blog like this at all?

One, I LOVE to eat! Over the years, I think I’ve developed a palate capable of distinguishing good food from bad. Two, I love to try new places. I like the fact that restaurant concepts from abroad are making their way here be it through international franchises or similar-themed eateries opening at the Fort, Greenbelt or wherever. Three, I hate it when restaurants serve subpar food at par prices, which is better known to me as a “highway robbery”. It really sucks to see profit-driven fake restaurateurs who are easily blinded by the fame and fortune of the business and forget the true key factors to opening a good restaurant: food, environment, service and cost.

Everyone in the food business should know that a good bang for their customer’s buck means more return customers, which in turn means more profit. Entrepreneurs who do not believe in this are, ironically, now my primary source of strength for writing this blog. Because of them, I’m now excited not only to be awed by a restaurant but also to be disappointed by it.

So I present to you Not Worth Eat: A guide on which restaurants NOT to try. Happy reading, and prepare to be de-appetized! Don't tell me I didn't warn you…

Monday, November 12, 2012

North Park Goes South



Price, almost every time, dictates taste and quantity. It is unfair to expect 5-star-quality food from a medium-priced restaurant. However, the dishes from North Park, while affordable, are just unimaginably bad. My family used to be regulars at the place, and for some reason I forgot, we stopped eating there. Well, the night my friends and I decided to get something to eat there served as my disastrous reminder. 




Pinsec Frito, Php133
Rating:
It was very obvious that old oil was used to fry this dish. It only took one bite for me to feel sick from it. The meat inside had a fishy or "malansa" smell and taste, just like what our next few orders had.


Potstickers, Php203
Rating:
This dish was served slightly uncooked, something I could tell from the taste of the skin. Actually, it tasted, like the old-oil-fried Pinsec Frito, so bad that they could have placed any kind of meat inside that dumpling and it would have made no difference to the doesn’t-taste-like-anything-sans-the-sauce dish.


North Park Special Toasted Noodles, Php268
Rating:
This offering, a full plate of fried noodles with some meat and sauce in the middle, was presented to us very well although it looked a bit too oily. Very, very promising. Unfortunately, as they say, promises are made to be broken. It turned out that the "toasted" in “North Park Special Toasted Noodles” was a misnomer; once the sauce touched those noodles, it was as if I was chewing shredded paper. And the meat? Too bland and oily, not at all "special".


Salted Fish with Chicken Fried Rice, Php163
Rating:
Terrible. This might just be the worst fried rice EVER! When it got to our table, it took me maybe less than 5 seconds to take a picture of it before we tried it, but on my first mouthful, sinesebo na! How was that even possible?! Nakakawalang gana


Lechon Macau, Php243
Rating:
This dish was the Not Worth Eat (NWE) highlight of the night, the clincher, the winning ticket to being featured on this blog. Their Lechon Macau had – you guessed it - a very fishy smell and taste, the type from which you could tell the meat had been in and out of the freezer many times before it was cooked. I could not stand the taste of this dish, and the few bites of it that I took made me feel like throwing up. 


Almond Jelly Drink, Php99
Rating:
This drink, I usually order whenever I dine at Chinese restaurants. I have no complaints on the taste of the almond jelly; I assume that the same kind is used in all Chinese restaurants. However, the amount of almond jelly they put is this drink was just preposterous! For Php99, something that would get me a good glass of milk tea, a good cup of coffee or a scoop of premium gelato, this drink was terribly overpriced! The almond jelly wasn’t even up to half the glass, terrible considering that Gloria Maris and Choi Garden serves this drink with a whole lot more of the almond jelly for only around Php80. Very irritating!




My Ratings:

Food:                               - Need I say more? ;)

Service:                           - The wait staff were just standing and gave me a bad look when I asked
                                                                                          for some water. They seemed to hate their jobs.


Ambiance:                                           - Nice place, well lit but the tables were those steel cafeteria tables.

Price Level:                                                  - Just right, not too cheap nor expensive. But for the quality, expensive!

Overall:                   - STAY AWAY!


Alternatives:

Mann Hann(San Juan):                                                   -Well prepared home cooked Chinese food, their oyster cakes are
                                                                                            amazing.

Kao Chi (Banawe):                                                  - You cannot go wrong with this new place. One of a few places
                                                                                             serving good Stinky Tofu.

Wai Ying (Binondo):                                              - Closest you can get to authentic Chinese food, this is a must visit.
                                                                                             Oh yeah, it's very cheap!


No, my family definitely won’t resume dining at North Park.


Don't tell me I didn't warn you!

Follow us on Twitter @notwortheat






13 comments:

  1. it seems like you live around the Greenhills area. I agree North Park's quality has gone down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you've got an interesting blog!

    I actually like the concept! Im on a hunt pa naman for resto to eat sa bakasyon ko and ur blog is really helpful

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is a kind of blog that will be helpful to many. At least on your vacation you know where NOT to eat. :) Check out my "alternatives" section at the bottom of every entry, i'm sure they will come in handy.

      Have a nice vacation here!

      Peace.

      Delete
  3. Very novel idea for a food blog. I've bookmarked it already.

    While on Chinese food, what do you think of restaurants like Gloria Maris Dimsum, Lu Gang, Crystal Jade, and Good Eats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a honor. Spread the word!

      I don't really like Gloria Maris Dimsum too much but it's the closest we can get for an early morning semi-affordable dimsum breakfast, which can be a good kickstart for a busy day. Lu Gang, I love! Try their fried Siopao, i seldom see people order it but it is really good! Crsytal Jade is also good for me, quite at par with the ones in Hong Kong and Singapore. Their raddish cakes, La Mian in peanut sauce and of course the Xiao Long Bao are very good. Haven't heard of good eats though!

      If you have any Not Worth Eat(it) experiences, email them to me at notwortheat@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. Hi,

    I was just wondering if you ever called the management's attention to the three dishes that you claimed had a fishy taste? If so what was their response?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sanju. I told the management about it after the bill was settled since the dishes were not spoiled, they were just cooked in very used oil. It was more of a quality issue. Their response, an unconvincing "sorry". I honestly don't think they cared.

      Delete
  5. great concept for a food blog :)great reference for places I should stay away from hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Berylle! Hope this blog would help you in more ways than one! :) Follow me on twitter @notwortheat !

      Delete
  6. Nega Blog,malamang loser in real life itong blogger na ito

    ReplyDelete

Food & Drink - Top Blogs Philippines