There are quite a lot of food blogs coming out nowadays. I myself read them to know about new places I could try out during the weekends, confirm how I feel about a certain restaurant or sometimes just to let time pass in an entertaining way. Food blogs usually speak of how awesome restaurants are, how certain dishes of this place are far better than their competition’s or how they would raise their “two thumbs” for this and that new discovery.

What I don’t like about such food blogs though is that they usually only talk about how gastronomically delightful restaurants’ dishes are. Are those blogs realistic? I doubt it. Are there really that many "good-blog-review" worthy restaurants here? It’s practically common knowledge that many (if not most) bloggers are getting paid in cash or in coupons to deliver good reviews for eateries. That’s terrible! Why are these bloggers even blogging!

Bloggers like these should instead try landing jobs in ad agencies where they can gain materially from their writing. Blogging shouldn’t be a business; it’s a medium through which people can respect and share opinions, not a way to get free meals for your friends and family.

I offer my blog as an alternative. Obviously, it’s not for money-making. No one would actually pay not to be on my blog, and besides, they wouldn't know who I am. I’ve chosen to keep this blog anonymous mainly because I think the harassment I’ll attract for writing negative stuff about certain restaurants won’t be worth it. So why write a blog like this at all?

One, I LOVE to eat! Over the years, I think I’ve developed a palate capable of distinguishing good food from bad. Two, I love to try new places. I like the fact that restaurant concepts from abroad are making their way here be it through international franchises or similar-themed eateries opening at the Fort, Greenbelt or wherever. Three, I hate it when restaurants serve subpar food at par prices, which is better known to me as a “highway robbery”. It really sucks to see profit-driven fake restaurateurs who are easily blinded by the fame and fortune of the business and forget the true key factors to opening a good restaurant: food, environment, service and cost.

Everyone in the food business should know that a good bang for their customer’s buck means more return customers, which in turn means more profit. Entrepreneurs who do not believe in this are, ironically, now my primary source of strength for writing this blog. Because of them, I’m now excited not only to be awed by a restaurant but also to be disappointed by it.

So I present to you Not Worth Eat: A guide on which restaurants NOT to try. Happy reading, and prepare to be de-appetized! Don't tell me I didn't warn you…

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

PINOnterya



Saturday night brought us to Pino, a new Filipino restaurant along Jupiter St. The place gave me a vibe similar to that of Café Romulo, one of my favorite "new" Filipino restaurants around. 


I had the luxury of trying out a number of items on Pino's menu since I was with a big group. Some of the dishes were okay, but none were exceptional. In fact, two dishes, an entree and a dessert, were terribly Not Worth Eat(it).

                                                             Laing Stuffed Crispy Pata, Php495
Rating:


This dish caught my attention because I thought that the delicate flavor of Laing and the crispiness and saltiness of Crispy Pata would go well together. Guess not! The Laing was so bitter that it reminded me of some type of medicine I was forced to take as a kid. Actually, whether with the Crispy Pata or eaten alone, the Laing was just terrible! The Crispy Pata, on the other hand, had so much fat and skin that searching for the meat was like a cruel game of sorts. And the little meat that we managed to find was terribly tough. Maybe there is a good way of combining Crispy Pata and Laing, but this restaurant did not know how to do it. All they’ve been able to come up with is a tough pata resting on a bed of dark, bitter, sad-looking Laing. Not stuffed, as the name suggests.


Chocolate Tablea Cheesecake, Php 160
Rating:
Have you ever tried salty chocolate cake? Pino gave me a taste of it, and, on my first bite, I thought that the dish was a worthy contribution to the salty-sweet dessert trend we have these days (think Rock Salt and Cheese in Milk Tea, Salted Caramel Ice Cream, etc.). Unfortunately, a few moments after that bite, I felt that the salty taste overpower the cake.

We told the staff about this, and at first, they were hesitant to admit anything to us, but later on, they confessed that the chef had mistaken the salt for sugar. Naman!

Yes, in the end, they took the item off of our bill, but the gastronomic damage had been done. 

We tried out Pino because Mangetsu, the restaurant next door, was full. We should have endured the wait and gone there instead.

My Ratings:
Food:                                            -Either it's nothing special or not good at all.
Ambiance:                                                        - Very nice place, gives a very homey feel.
Service:                                                           - Very attentive and respectful. Seems  though they don't
                                                                                   really know what they're doing.
Price Level:                                   - A bit too expensive for food with this quality.

Overall:                                          -I'm not gonna be back but I hope they improve.

Alternatives:

Mangetsu:                                                 -Patience is indeed a virtue. :)
 
Café Romulo:                                            - You can't go wrong ordering anything from the menu.

Café Juanita:                                            - Tip: they have Sunday lunch buffets serving only the favorites
                                                                                      at an affordable rate!



Don't tell me I didn't warn you!









Follow us on Twitter @notwortheat


14 comments:

  1. Yeah! Not worth visiting and eating there I guess, but this blog is worth the read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you took time to read this budding blog of mine. Yes, at first I found the place so-so, but then came the more disappointing dishes. Keep posted! Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Whoa. I find this hard to believe as I've NEVER had a bad dish in their first branch in QC (where I go at least once a month). Baka dahil bago pa lang itong sa Makati? I frequent Pino but I've never tried their Laing, though. Anyways, great blog you have here. Finally, someone who has the gall to call out bad restaurant customer service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gia! Some of the items we ordered like the sisig tacos, kansi, seafood kare kare were not bad naman. It's more of these two dishes that made the whole experience terrible. Yeah, maybe because they're just new? But medyo kanya kanya naman when it comes to preference. Yeah, i firmly believe that every part of the restaurant staff has to have a "manager" mindset. :) Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Mali lang inorder mo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ano ba dapat kong naorder? Nag order rin ako ng Sisig Tacos, Seafood Kare Kare, Kansi.

      Delete
    2. Kare-kareng Bagnet, Bagnet Binagoongan, Bagnet and Tofu stack. Heehee. Other favorites are their Tofu Balls, Honeymansi flavored-beer, Spicy Tuyo pesto, and their Miso soup. Although I am obviously a meat fiend, I find even their Kesong Puti salad enjoyable. Sorry, I just feel compelled to defend Pino and can't help but disagree with this entry. I fell in love at first bite and have been going back ever since. You should give it another go.

      Delete
    3. NotworthBlog bwahaha

      Delete
  4. I don't agree with this review, a good crispy pata should have lots of soft fat and really crispy skin. That's why you ordered Crispy Pata right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. your writing needs to improve, my 12 year old niece can write better then you.
    Got a headache from reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kamote naman, tigilan na ang ingit and crab mentality.

    Almost all of the reviews that I read on this restaurant is positive, di ibig sabihin lahat sila mali and ikaw lang tama?

    http://www.talesfromthetummy.com/pino-resto-bar-pipino-vegetarian-jupiter/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I have to agree with your review on the Laing-Crispy Pata. We also tried the Kare-kareng bagnet and was not impressed. But the fritters and sinigang were okay naman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. kare kareng bagnet, stuffed tofu and lemongrass skewers were good dunno about you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kumaen kame dito dati sa QC, malapit sa maginhawa st. I ordered binakol, adobon manok sa sarsi. Grabe mostly nung mga chicken medium rare pa.. May dugo dugo pa.. When we asked it to be change ayaw.. Naorder ndaw kasi,, haha tsk3 bad service. And at that time, kame lang ang customer.

    ReplyDelete

Food & Drink - Top Blogs Philippines